Jul 13, 2012

Facebook : Google Before You Share/Tag

There's no doubt that Facebook is the top social networking site to-date. Though I'm seeing myself using and browsing Twitter more often now, Facebook is still unbeaten when it comes to user-friendliness and reach. Anyone you meet who has access to the internet is expected to have a Facebook account.

Facebook - what LIES beneath it

Because of the high usage of this social networking site, obviously, it'll be misused by those who don't understand or cannot comprehend the value of privacy or thinking before clicking or sharing, and abused by many people. Being paranoid when it comes to online security, especially after my own experiences with scams and hackers, and knowing a thing or two on how easy it is to fool / trick people online, I ALWAYS take everything I see on the internet with a grain of salt. Make that a cup of salt. ;)

Internet hoaxes

I've been very cynical even when I was younger, so I didn't believe in Santa Claus. Well, I'm glad our nanay didn't really make up any of those fantasies when we were little. We've been realists since we were kids because of her, but it was our aunts and uncles who thought they can fool us that there's such a thing as a tooth fairy. *LOL*

This is why whenever I see something online that has been shared by people on my network, no matter how heartbreaking the story behind it may be, I always make it a point to do my research first, especially when it's something that'll attract strong opinions and reactions from other people. It's better safe than be humiliated later on to know that the post you shared was actually just a bunch of BS someone concocted for the fun of it.

This MIGHT be Photoshopped

If I can't find anything written about the said topic, I'll skip sharing it, especially when it's about someone committing a crime or guilty of general nastiness. You'll never know when the post you're sharing started with malicious intent to ruin someone's image. So, it does help to be extra careful.

One thing I also want to mention (though totally unrelated to the topic) is this: because of my Facebook network, people have been requesting me to add their other accounts that are connected to their store where they sell clothes, shoes, audio rack, gadgets, etc. They're supposed to be creating a Facebook page for it, if you ask me. I know what they'll do - they'll repeatedly tag me on their photos in an attempt to get my network of people to see what they're selling. No, thanks. Good thing Facebook now allows us to review any photo or post where other people tagged us. It prevents others from spamming our wall. I mean, I'm okay with my actual friends tagging me, but if I don't know you well enough, I won't accept that tag request and will remove my tag, then unfollow the post. And, also, it doesn't hurt to ask, you know. :) For contest entries though, I don't remove tags.

A real profile picture

I'm currently thinking about maintaining a TRUE personal Facebook account, but I just don't have the time to manage yet another account. Besides, I've learned my lessons over the past years on what I can and should post on my wall. Plus, with the things I'm working on and my upcoming projects, I don't think I'll have the time to share anything personal anymore anyway, except the ones you'd see here on my blog. I tend to rant in multiple paragraphs anyway. ;)

How about you? What do you think of the funny and ridiculous things that have been shared and spread like wildfire through Facebook? Care to share your own experiences? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a Google or OpenID account, please use select Name/URL so I know who you are. Thanks for visiting!

Disqus for Just Another Pixel